Monday, September 11, 2017

When You Give Yourself A Day of Rest

Anyone else dragging today? It seems there is so much going on, so much to pray for, and so many burdens to carry doesn't it?

Saturday was my Sabbath this week. I didn't sit and do nothing but I did have the whole house to myself for most of the day which I find completely and totally delicious.

There was an important football game here in town on Saturday. Will went to the game and Farmer Boy went to a friend's house to watch it. I have tried to understand football as it does seem to be America's game, but I simply don't understand it or like it. So sorry my American friends. (BTW I appreciate your efforts in trying to explain it to me over the years, but can someone please tell me why those boys can't skate?)

Instead of joining in on the crazy, I shut the front door, locked it, and had a day of rest.

I rounded up laundry.

I watched "Damages" on Netflix.

I cleaned some toilets which were overdue for cleaning and although the actual task of cleaning was not enjoyable, the finished product and being able to not fret over them anymore, was completely delightful.

I soaked up some quiet and thought big thoughts and some little ones. I imagined conversations I would like to have with certain people and practiced them in case I ever get the chance. I watched more Netflix. I went and got groceries after kickoff time so crowds would be few. I put supper in the crockpot and looked forward to a meal here at home with both Will and Farmer Boy.

A sabbath indeed.

A rest for my thoughts, my words, my ears, my body, my mind, and my soul.

Please make sure you give yourself a sabbath every week. It is absolutely necessary especially when it seems the world is falling apart.

Here are meals I planned for us this week. I also included the one we had on Saturday night which was a big hit with the boys.

I have linked the recipe titles to the websites so if anything looks good you can check it out.


This is from a blog I frequent called "SMILE SANDWICH."
It was simple and delicious. I served it over buttered egg noodles and the boys lapped it up.


PENNE PASTA WITH MUSHROOMS, PEAS AND SPINACH

Last Spring I stumbled across this meal service plan called PREP DISH. For $15.00 a month you get four weeks of gluten free meals. I did it for three months in an attempt to add some life into our meal rotation. I was pleased with it and this is one of the recipes I use over and over again.

Bring a large pot of water to boil.
Heat large frying pan over med-high heat. Add about 6 slices of bacon and cook until browned.
Add two 5oz cartons of sliced mushrooms, or I use a whole zucchini, plus one bag of spinach and a 10oz bag of frozen peas to fry pan with your bacon. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Cook your penne according to the package directions. Drain and toss with veggies.
Top with parmesan.
Eat. Eat. Eat.
Here's the link to PREP DISH if you are interested. http://prepdish.com/. I truly enjoyed the service and it did breath some new life into our meals.

This week we are also having one of our family's favorites.


This is from one of the blogs I visit quite often - FAMILY FRESH MEALS.  She has lots of basic recipes and things that I know everyone here will enjoy. In my puttering around on Saturday, I found a package of stew meat that I need to use up and this is tasty and easy. I don't thicken with flour. I just skip that part so perhaps for us this is more of a stoup than a stew.

Okay. We're almost there. One more recipe.



I'm not sure I've visited this site before but I googled BLT salad because I have a bunch of tomatoes I want to use up and when you live with Farmer Boy there is always bacon.

I found this.

It looks good. It seems simple so we are going to try it.
*******

Okay precious ones. That is all I have.

Days of rest are essential.

If you haven't had one in a while, take one.

It's a reset that we need so we can be lifting up the world in prayer.

Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on not understanding football no matter how often it's been "splained"!!! Your meals sound wonderful and I always think that half the battle is in knowing what you are going to make! You got a lot done on your sabbath - I don't even feel like cooking, much less cleaning toilets when I have a sabbath. Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!