Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Birthday Story

Tomorrow we have a birthday around here.  My sweet, sweet second born will be officially entering the sometimes frightening, often confusing, realm of 'teenagedom'.

Am I ready?  Does it matter?  Ready or not it is here.

We held a party for her and her six best friends last night.  We barbecued hamburgers, they threw water balloons, I took them to see the movie 'Soul Surfer' at the dollar theater.  They were totally drawn in and exclaimed with one voice, "that was the best movie I have ever seen".

I don't do well with sleepover parties.  I believe that the word 'sleepover' implies that some sleeping will be done.  Why don't teenage girls understand this?

Last year we held the party on the same day I had surgery.  Stupid.  At about 3:00 a.m. I turned into a screaming, fanatical and frightening woman.  I told them to sleep.  I told them if I heard them again I'd start calling parents to come and get them.  I told them I was their worst nightmare.  I told them to be quiet.

They were.  They had never seen Mrs. Johnston like that before.  They had probably never seen any mother like that before.  Their eyes got large and their mouths got quiet.  I felt like it was a good talk.

Well, it went down as legend.  They are still talking about it.  One sweet friend of Elizabeth's apologizes every time I give her a ride.  Poor thing.  I scared her to death.

Last night went much better.  I was tense.  I tried not to let the real me take over.  I kept it together.  They slept out in the trailer and I went to bed at 11:00 p.m. and haven't heard a peep from them since. It's 9:15 a.m. and I'm still waiting to fix them pancakes for breakfast.  I wonder if they're scared to come in?

Here's some pictures of my sweet, sweet girl in all her teenage glory.  She makes my heart sing.

Happy Birthday sweet girl.  You are loved beyond measure.

She is going to be thrilled that I'm posting this one.


She can bring the heat.  You go Liz!


Cousins at the July 4th wedding.

Last night's party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!