Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Choice

The first time Farmer Boy ever visited my family in Canada, I decided to take him to one of my brother's hockey games. I thought it would be a piece of Canadian culture he would love and I thought my brother would get to show off his amazing hockey abilities.

We made plans about going to the game at home, in front of mom and dad.  Rob gave us directions as we didn't want to leave as early as he did. I noticed a flicker of something in Rob's eyes as we discussed our plans but I didn't think anything of it.  Rob often has flickers.  He's just that type of guy.

Farmer Boy and I arrived at the ice arena.  We made our way to our seats and waited as the teams warmed up, each on their half of the ice.  I knew Rob's number but didn't see him out there.  Why wasn't he out there?  Where was he?

Just as the puzzlement and confusion were setting in, who should sit down beside us but brother Rob.  He was in his street clothes.  No hockey uniform.  No skates.  Farmer Boy and I just looked at him with wide-eyed astonishment.  Before we could even form the words Rob explained that he had a game misconduct which meant he had to sit this one out. He didn't want mom and dad to know so he had not said anything at home.  When we asked what he had done to deserve the game misconduct, his words were simple.  "He dropped his gloves, I had to fight!"

Farmer Boy loves those words. He uses them to make the point that sometimes you simply don't have a choice. 

Why do I tell you this?  Well, because I'm tired.  My legs are aching.  My right hip feels out of place.  My friend asked me to train with her for a half marathon race in October.  We ran eight miles or something ridiculous like that this morning.  Why?  Well, "He dropped his gloves, I had to fight."

I thought I'd take this opportunity to share with you some pictures from the weekend.  Farmer Boy's family came up on Sunday and we had a fabulous afternoon.  We sat around the table, eating talking, laughing and listening to stories.  I took flattering pictures of my loved ones.  I'm a awesome photographer. What choice do they have but to love me?












Oh, and Will chose the trombone as the instrument he'll play in the school band.  Very cool.  I'm sure there will be more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!