Saturday, May 31, 2014

Singing Refrigerators and Green Rides

So I'm still on the "Loving Myself"  journey.

Still dazed and confused. Still trying.

I am now unemployed. It seemed like the right time to leave my job. The job had been both a blessing and a struggle,  and with changes that were out of my control, saying goodbye seemed to make sense.

Being unemployed and loving myself is proving to be a little tricky. I fight myself a lot during the day. I look around and listen. Do you know that even refrigerators sing their own praises during the day? All day they whistle as they work so to speak.





















I suppose every journey has it challenges.  If everything was easy what would be the fun in that right?

Oh, before I forget, I should show you my ride.




There are many things people don't tell you when you first have children. Number one - when children come home from college for the summer they will need a vehicle because you will want them to find employment. Number two - children involved in summer sports will also need a vehicle to get to and from games and practices. Number three - unemployed mothers of said children will ride pretty green pick up trucks with barn boots shoved down between the cab and the bed of the truck by Farmer Boy husbands. They can not be removed. Number four - driving such vehicles in an upper middle class community, may make you stand out.

Like a big, long, green thumb.

Now you know.

What was I saying?


Oh yeah.

Journey. Difficult. Fighting with myself. Trying not to compare myself with employed refrigerators.

Here is where I should say something profound and maybe even spiritual.

Umm...........I've got nothing.



Well,  I did get flour all over myself while I was baking.

Okay, if you press me, I've got a little bit more.

I do know that the God I serve and love is maybe a whisperer rather than a shouter. That making a life, living it, and being thankful for it, is more important then getting hung up on making a living.

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror;
then we shall see face to face.
Now I know in part, then I shall know fully, 
even as I am fully known.
And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1Co. 12-13).




















Oh and did I mention my lovely green ride for the summer?

I also enjoyed a bowl of the above with a dollop of vanilla ice cream while I sat on my front porch.

I've got more than I thought.

I'll tell my refrigerator. It thinks it's got everything.

Here's the recipe.

Rhubarb Crunch
Mix until Crumbly:
1 cup flour ( I used half all purpose and half oat flour)
3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Prepare 4 cups diced rhubarb.

Combine the following in a saucepan:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla.

Press half of crumbs in a greased 9 inch baking pan. Add diced rhubarb. 
Combine saucepan mixture and cook until thick and clear.
Pour over rhubarb.
Top with remaining crumbs.
Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kris - you inspire me!!! I think your ride is perfect and your rhubarb crunch looks amazing - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I inspire you? That's ironic. You are one of my inspirations. Thank you.
      The rhubarb crunch was amazing.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!