Thursday, November 6, 2014

Everywhere Grace



Farmer Boy took a day off work Tuesday.

It was the day for this little piggy and that little piggy, and all six of our little piggies to go to market.

Farmer Boy’s friend Ryan arrived at 6am to help load the piggies on the trailer. Piggies don’t like to be led, or herded, or coerced, or told what to do. They are independent, stubborn, and they seem to like to toy with any Farmer who believes that he, as the all-knowing human, is the boss.

I like pigs.

Yesterday morning our six little pigs were groggy, squinty eyed, itchy, disoriented and not sure what was going on, because they loaded up easily and without a fight. I was at the gym and wasn’t there to see all the commotion, so it could very well be that Farmer Boy bribed them with a pot of coffee inside the livestock trailer.

After he delivered the pigs to the locker, Farmer Boy came back home with an empty pig trailer, revved up the borrowed 4-wheeler and loaded it up onto the borrowed 4-wheeler trailer. His plan was to do some soil sampling and all went as planned. He spent the day ripping around wide open fields with the sun shining and the wind blowing.

He was a bit stressed out with all the details of his day off. There was a lot of ground to cover and he wanted to be home in time to vote.

His reported in with a text as he neared the end of his land roving – “Grace is all around.”

This morning I got up and headed to the gym. I did my thing, got to chat with a dear friend I haven’t seen in a while, boogied a little bit with my I-Pod while holding a 5-lb hand weight (you should try it sometime) and then came home to my two precious ones, awake and doing their thing to get ready for school.

I made Will a peanut butter and banana pita. I watched Elizabeth move around the kitchen and got to tell her how beautiful she looked this morning. I got excited about my “Morning Thunder” tea with a hefty pour of coconut milk to fuel my body and my brain.

Have you ever had Morning Thunder tea?

It’s delicious.

My friend Caroline turned me onto it when she gave it to me as a birthday present a couple years ago. Morning Thunder is for those of us who just can’t seem to acquire the taste for dirt – or coffee as some people choose to call it.

I love brewing Morning Thunder and then pouring milk into it. The deep brown of the tea seeps into the milk and it looks warm, chocolatey and delicious.

This morning I was taking in all of this deliciousness and then went for my first sip.

“Yuch”

The coconut milk had been hanging out in the fridge for too long. Spoiled coconut milk.

Yuck. It is as nasty as it sounds.

There went my morning deliciousness, down the drain, bye-bye.

The kids grabbed their coats and back packs. I fixed my hair and made sure my fly was up. We all said goodbye and with one more furtive glance at the sink and my ruined Morning Thunder, away we went.

The day moves along with all its ups and downs, ins and outs, motion and stillness, tea and no tea, and Farmer Boy has it right.

Grace is all around.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!