Tuesday, September 26, 2017

When It Rains

It's raining.

We need it and is there anything better than a rainy Fall afternoon?

Seriously.

Right now I'm sitting at my computer table, the washer is humming along as it does it's duty, I have meat out defrosting waiting to be made into one of Will's favorite suppers, I washed up the dishes and my kitchen counter from this morning's chaos and I made our bed.

And all the people said Amen.

Why am I such a nerd?

I love things neat and tidy. I love put away.  I love mugs of tea and the sound of rain on my roof. I love being tucked into a Monday afternoon in my little farmhouse, when the overwhelming parts and the parts of the the day that felt like too much are over.

Too much activity.

Too much to remember.

Too much wishing the weekend was still here since both of our precious girls surprised us with a visit and for two days we were all around the table together.

But not now.

I'm tucked in now remember?

I'm tucked in and I put some order behind the chaos and even though the "too much" hasn't gone away, it feels a bit more manageable.

And I guess that's all I really wanted to say.

When life feels like too much, maybe we should just wash up some dishes and clean off a counter.

When life feels like too much should we just make our bed?

Maybe just put that stuff away that's been sitting there sneering.

It can't hurt.

Maybe it's the small, seemingly unimportant things that are the most important?

I don't know. I'm just asking.

I do know that I'm breathing more deeply right now than I have all day.

I do know that clean dishes make me smile and when I walk up to my room tonight my bed will whisper sweet, tidy, straight-cover whispers in my ear which will make me undress, and crawl in.

Just saying.

Here's one of Will's favorite suppers and a couple more recipes on my menu this week if you need some ideas and a bit of chaos relief.

Rock the week.

Breath deep.

Wash some dishes.



This is not a gourmet meal by any means but it's quick and tasty and loved by teenage boys.



                  Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken - Family Fresh Meals

I usually serve this with rice and steamed broccoli. Easy. Peasy. Simple. Delicious.


Beans and Rice - Three Many Cooks

This takes a little time to simmer so it's one of the meals I put together, put the lid on and forget about while I change out of my work clothes,  start laundry, make phone calls, etc. until it's ready to go.


                     Pumpkin Spice Bars - Betty Crocker


We have a birthday boy in the house this week and these are his favorites. We've already eaten our way through one batch and there will be more.

I like to use fresh pumpkin rather than canned but you know, whatever is easiest for you.

And that's all I've got.

Here's to rainy afternoons and simple solutions.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!