Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Night

Friday night on the farm.  The sun is finally showing it's face.  I think it's just flirting.  It's such a tease but I'm willing to play it's game.  As I'm typing, I have my face turned at a distorted angle in order to catch some rays. They are so precious.  I think everyone in Iowa is weary of the sunless, dreary sky.  We woke up this morning to a white blanket of snow on the ground.  Yuck!  Luckily it melted away and we're back to the brown landscape of mud.  Hmm...


This is not a bad picture.  It's supposed to be a clue.  What do you think Farmer Boy and Will are up to tonight?  Any guesses?  Here's the second clue -  Farmer Boy gave me instructions this morning to have supper ready at 5:00 p.m.  I of course put up a little bit of a fuss because I love being told what to do and when, so of course supper was ready at 5:00. What can I say?


Okay, I'll confess.  I took these terrible pictures.  I'm not sure what happened.

Tonight is baseball practice. Friday night is a perfect night for baseball practice so I'm told.  Thus the reason for 5:00 p.m. supper.  They aren't practicing outside tonight. These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago when we had warmer temperatures and actually a day when the the sun shone for more than 20 minutes.  I miss those days. Tonight's practice is in the highschool gym.  Does that sound strange to anyone else?  Farmer Boy thought I should see the sense in it but I don't.  It doesn't matter what I think as long as I have supper ready.  I'm totally over being bitter about it though, can't you tell?




Can you see how bossy he is?  Maybe that's why he loves coaching so much.  

In all honesty he simply loves it.  He's good at it too.  He gives the kids nicknames and they love it.  This year there is Kong, Gonzo, The Thrill, Killer.  He's got some new kids on the team this year that he's waiting to get to know a bit better before he assigns their name.  This afternoon he sent me an e-mail at work to show me how productive he had been earlier this morning.  It was communication between him and his other coaches detailing how they were going to work out the catchers and pitchers and so forth and so on. After scrolling through the messages for 15 minutes, trying to get to the end of their correspondence, I e-mailed him back something like this, "You're totally nuts." We've been getting along really well today.

The following techniques are taken directly from a Cal Ripken Jr. instructional pitching video that Farmer Boy and Will have been methodically studying and memorizing since Dec. 26.



I think the first picture is how you're supposed to pray before you begin the whole procedure. Hidden glove prayer -  Dear Lord I'm about to throw this baseball hard at that kid in the batter's box.  Please help me not to hit him because he's bigger than me and he looks mean.  If I hit him, please make my feet as swift as the wind. Amen.

I guess the girls and I should learn how to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" in three-part harmony.  That could be our contribution.  My mom would love that.  She was always trying to get me and my sisters to sing in church.  Instead of church we'll take to the ball diamond and wow the crowd.  Maybe we'll get a nickname too.  

I think I'm getting carried away.  It is Friday night.  I think I'm allowed.

Remember I did have supper ready at 5:00 p.m. just like I was told.  

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!