Monday, October 8, 2012

This and That

Some of you know this and some of you don't.

It's Thanksgiving today, Canadian Thanksgiving that is.

Happy Thanksgiving family. I miss you. I wish I was there. Did you have pumpkin pie? Raisin pie?

We had sausage and lentil soup. No turkey, no pie, and we ate in shifts tonight because Kelli had a cross country meet and Will had football practice.

I thought I'd share with you some pictures from Homecoming. Homecoming has nothing to do with Canada, at least the Canada of my youth. My high school didn't have a football team. There were no Friday night lights, no cheerleaders, no girls waving flags around. I wonder if Elmira District Secondary School has a football team now? If they do, I bet they don't play games on Friday nights. I bet they don't get parents of cross country kids to work football concessions.

I'll stop there.

I'm focused.

I'm not bitter.

Let's talk about Liz.



This was her first Homecoming. There was a lot of build up and some unnecessary drama but she pulled it off. She had the most fun at the pre-dance festivities - getting ready with her friends, eating pizza and then going to a friend's home to take pictures with a gal who is trying to get her photography business started.


This is my favorite picture. I love, love, love it! These girls were the ones from Lizzy's group who chose to go solo. Lizzy and the girl in the middle have been best buds since kindergarten. I think the photographer captured their love and friendship. I could stare at it forever.

Here's a few more.




Kelli had a date to Homecoming this year. It was her first time going with someone but since he didn't ask her until the week of the big dance she had already made plans with her girlfriends.



Since she didn't want him hanging with her and her friends before the dance, they met at the dance and had a great time. It was her last Homecoming.

Yesterday Kelli turned 18. Today she ran her last cross country meet.

 
The team prays before every meet.



In my opinion, cross country is the best sport. You don't have to be the best athlete, but you can run and experience what it is like to be a part of a team. You can challenge yourself and try to better your times. You can try to pass that girl at the finish line who's been hanging out in front of you for the last two miles. You can wear cool colored shoes.

As a parent you can stand on the sidelines and holler "Go Kelli! Fight! Keep running to the end. You've got this! Go!" As she runs by you can take a deep breath and try to inhale the fact that she's now 18, then you take off running to the next spot where you can holler at her some more and hope she looks at you and smiles before she runs by.

Thanksgiving. Homecoming. Cross Country.

A little bit of this, a little bit of that, all stirred together like an aromatic autumn stew from both sides of the border.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!