Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Changing It Up

I got up early this morning and began my usual routine. I started thinking of the day, what needed done, where I needed to go, who I needed to call, and then I decided to change things up a bit.

Since the end of August I've been back to work. I've increased my number of work hours from 20 per week to 30 per week. Ten hours has been a bigger change than I anticipated. I think I'm still adjusting and trying to figure out all the details. I'm slow to adjust to change but I'll get there. My job is flexible and that is a true blessing. I decided to take advantage today and spend my morning on some home and family details that have gotten pushed to the back.

After I came downstairs to shoot off an email to tell my boss my plan, I went back upstairs and set myself up in my bed to write in my journal. My window was open just a crack, and outside the early morning wind was caressing the trees. The trees purred with the wind's attention, and I sat on my bed, eyes closed, absorbing the sound.

I picked up my pen and opened my journal. There were things to say, thoughts I needed to get out, but first I drew a box and at the top I wrote, "Giving Thanks". Today I will keep my eyes open and write down three things I am thankful for.

Maybe I'll write about the early morning sounds drifting through my window.

Maybe I'll mention the puffins I made the kids for breakfast or the crock pot full of supper that was easy and quick to put together.
Bakerella's puffins. The kids love them! 


Pioneer Woman's Italian Pot Roast. I'm trying it in the crock pot so we'll see how it turns out.

Maybe it will be the view from my kitchen window while my hands were immersed in suds. The rising sun was lighting up the top of the tree by the barn and when I looked up, a hawk flew right through the prettiest part of the tree, like he knew, like he wanted to be a part of something beautiful.

Maybe it will be something about 80's day at school.

































Lizzy and I had fun getting her outfit together this morning and combing out her curls. Maybe she'll have stories to tell when she gets home and listening to her will make it's way into my box of thankfulness.

The day is still young so maybe I'll write about my run I'm planning, or the smell of fresh sheets that I"m going to hang up on the wash line after their dance with the washing machine is complete.

I'm watching. I'm hopeful that I won't get caught up in my list of errands and tasks and forget. It's easy to forget to say thank you. It's easy to join the rush, the flurry and to throw in my stress and discontent into the pot that everyone seems to eat from.

Hopefully not today.

One more thing before I step outside into the mix.

Yesterday I read these words in Deuteronomy 6.
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind."

I've read those words before, countless times, but in the midst of the tempest that was Monday it was helpful to repeat it to myself, just to remember, to keep my focus.

Hope your day is a good one.

Hope you day is full of thankfulness.

Over and out.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Lizzy looks adorable, your puffins look perfect and supper looks very promising! I love "nesting" days like this! I need to repeat those words from Deut. too - tempest days come around here a little too often lately as well!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!