Friday, June 6, 2014

My Man Clive



I spent some time with C.S. Lewis this morning. I wish I could sit beside him and take in a day. I imagine that next to him I'd feel silly and simple minded so I wouldn't speak. I'd sit and simply hang out with my man Clive.

I wanted to pass along some of his words. Ponder them this weekend.

The terrible thing, the almost impossible thing is to hand over your whole self - all your wishes and precautions to Christ. But it is far easier than what we are trying to do instead. For what we are trying to do is to remain what we call 'ourselves', to keep personal happiness as our great aim in life and yet at the same time be 'good.' Cutting the grass may keep it short but I shall still produce grass and no wheat. If I want to produce wheat the change must go deeper than the surface. I must be ploughed up and resown.

Clive spells words like 'plough' the right way. I love that.
He's got more to say.

The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals and the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back, in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings, coming in out of the wind. 
  - From Mere Christianity

Thanks Clive. I'm just going to sit here a while and hang out with you. You good with that?








No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!