Tuesday, April 10, 2018

When It's Time for Change

















Recently I have had the opportunity to get to know two extremely cool women. They are intelligent, kind, intentional, and lovers of learning.

We set out on a weekend writing retreat back in January where we rented a cabin in a state park and devoted a weekend to our writing. Friday night we spent time talking and getting to know each other but Saturday we devoted to writing. We set the day up to write for 40 minutes and then break for 20.  We rinsed, washed, and repeated about four times.

I learned so much that weekend. It was one of the best things I have done in a long time. I walked away with many things to think about and work on and one of them was this idea of choosing a theme word for your year.

Here is what these two fabulous gals told me.

Do not be uptight about the word, let it come to you.

Do not think you have to have the word ready to go on January 1. 

You have the right to change the word if the one you first chose does not fit with what life is throwing at you. 

These gals have been doing this for several years. They know each other’s current words and they can recite each other’s words from years past which I found completely amazing not only because they can remember, but also because they are that woven into each other's lives.

I love that. I think it is rare in this day and age to walk that closely alongside someone.

Jacki wrote about her word choice here - Jacki Hayes .

I love Jacki's blog. If you have some time I encourage you to dive into her website and splash around.

Anyway.

After that weekend I decided I wanted my own word for 2018. It didn't take much effort.

CHANGE

A natural choice don't you think?

This is the year of our big move. We will set off from our little farm and move into town. We will leave a place chocked full of memories and unpack our boxes into a place that has the potential for many more. We will move from one town to another, from a small town to a smaller town.

The views from our windows will change, my route to work will change, our next door neighbors will change, our space will change, our furniture will change, our place will change.

I am not big on change.

Perhaps you have even heard me say something about how change sucks.

I may have said that a time or two.

But there it is. There is my word and I'm trying to not be afraid of it, trying to make sure my old friend cynicism doesn't sneak into any of the boxes I'm packing up. I'm trying to open wide my arms and take it all in. I’m trying surrender. I'm trying to watch, to listen and to move wherever it takes me.

At the end of this year I’m hoping that when I hear the word  CHANGE I will simply smile and look peaceful and calm.

We’ll see what happens.


Of course I am not walking through this alone.

We are always stronger together, especially when it's time for change.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!