Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hanging Tough

Saturday.  Let's exhale together.  It was a different kind of week down here on the farm.




Monday afternoon, Will arrived home from school, with a story in his eyes.  A story of fever, illness and need of a good night's rest.  He went to bed early and when he awoke on Tuesday his fever was gone.  Farmer Boy took Tuesday off work in order to travel to his cousin Kevin's farm to pick up a cow that belongs to us, and transport it to our neck of the woods for, well, you know, future suppers.  The plan was for Will to go with.  With no fever, and promises of, "I feel better Mom," away my men went.  The little man slept all day in the back of Farmer Boy's pickup. Farmer boy described it like this, "Every time he woke up I thought he'd be better, but he would just fall back asleep."  Clearly, not fully recovered.  Too much, too soon.  Too bad he doesn't have a mother who would put her foot down and tell him he needed to stay home even if he thought he was feeling better.  Wednesday, he stayed home with his mother.  He watched TV and slept underneath his amazing new blanket he got from his grandma for his birthday.  I'll let you guess which grandma - Canadian grandma or American Grandma?



Thursday - Sick Comes To The Farm - Part 2.


In this version, Elizabeth is afflicted.  She came home from school Thursday, glassy eyed, with distress oozing out of every pore of her body.  "Mom, I feel awful."  She went up to bed, slept until supper time, ate a wee bit, then went back to bed and slept all night.  In the morning she was fevered.  I decided to go to work for a little while, as she was sleeping and there wasn't much I could do for her.  I believe I win the 'bad mommy of the week' award. I did return home.   Her fever rose.  I called the doctor, took her in, and found out she has pneumonia.


 Her world consists of the couch.

Her bedroom and her kleenex boxes.


Watching my fiesty daughter lay around sleeping and blowing her nose is a difficult thing.  She's not fooling around when she says she's not feeling well.  This morning her medication is kicking in.  She ate a good breakfast and worked on some homework.  My sweet girl.



Speaking of breakfast - I found time this week while I was home watching the kids sleep and blow their noses, to peruse a good cook book I picked up at the library.


I chopped the title off in the picture.  It's called, "The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great," by Pamela Anderson.  Not the Pamela Anderson.  The above Pamela Anderson.  I'm convinced that eating great is key for fighting my hormone battle.  Eating and exercise.  I also believe that sending my kids off with a substantial breakfast helps fight off illness.  Cleary, that doesn't mean they never get sick, but I believe they get sick less often.

Here's two recipes we tried this week and loved.

Tropical Smoothie - my tweaked version.
1 mango - peeled and chunked
(I have never bought a mango before. Yummy)
1 frozen banana - cut up
Pineapple - I used fresh but frozen or canned would work.  Drain the canned kind.  Probably about a cup.
1 cup milk
About a cup of vanilla yogurt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
A handful of ice cubes
Blend and enjoy.  Yum.

Banana Pizza with Peanut Butter and Chocolate
1 whole wheat pita, split into 2 thin rounds
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 1/2 bananas sliced
2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate mini morsels

Heat oven to 400.  Set pita halves on cookie sheet.  Spread with peanut butter and top with bananas and chocolate. Bake until pitas are crisp and golden about 10 minutes.  Snarf down with daughter who has pneumonia but thanks to the wonders of medicine, finally has her appetite, and a bit of her sparkle back.  Sit back and smile at her, then give her a hug and tell her how glad you are that she is starting to feel a little better.

That about wraps it up.  So far, Farmer Boy, Kelli and I are hanging tough.  My hormones are putting on a splendid battle, a prolonged battle, but I'm still standing.  When we are weak, He is strong.

Here's to your health.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I like that the Pam Anderson on the cookbook is a normal looking person.

    2. Lizzy looks adorable.

    3. Duncan misses Will.

    4. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that she is normal looking too - not super slim. I like her recipes. Simple, things you can build on and tweak.

    Lizzy is adorable.

    Will would love to hang out with Duncan.

    I miss you too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!