Friday, July 15, 2011

Crazy Corn, Crazy Lettuce, Crazy Day

 I woke up in a fog this morning.  Elizabeth, Ella, Katie and I went to a movie last night.  It finished up at about 2:30 a.m.  What?  Yep.  I normally like to go to bed at 9:30 p.m. but last night, or rather this morning it was 2:30 a.m.

Crazy, absolutely crazy, but fun and spontaneous.  I've been trying to be more spontaneous.  I figured it's time to learn how to break away from my lists, to do things that aren't planned.  I'm finding I'm good with spontaneity as long as I can schedule it in advance.  Last night was my kind of spontaneous.  We had purchased tickets about a week ago so I had time to prepare myself for the upheaval of my routine. It really works so much better that way.

This morning while I was stumbling around with my mouth hanging slightly open, my hair looking absolutely fabulous and with my running gear on in hopes that the wearing of the clothes would change my outlook of exercising this morning (it didn't work), I went outside to have a look around the farm.



Wow!  What has happened?  The corn that once was quiet and quaint in it's uniform lines marching off into the horizon has changed, seemingly overnight.


I am five feet, seven and a half inches tall.  Those are my hands outstretched over my head.

My grandpa or 'Pop', as we called him, used to say he had trouble sleeping some summer nights. The corn kept him awake, the noise of growing pains apparently echoed in the night. If you can stand the heat, try sleeping with your windows open tonight.  I wonder if you could hear this corn from where you  lay your head.


My mom and dad have a book on their end table in their family room.  It is called, "Mennonite Country", and it is written by A.K. Herrfort, who was an Old Order Amish gentleman from the area of Ontario where I am from. The book was written in 1978.  There are drawings included in this book by Peter Etril Snyder who is a famous artist from Waterloo County. The book drew me in and I came home with several excerpts from it scrawled into my journal so I could carry them with me.

This is what Mr. Herrfort had to say about lettuce.

"Lettuce is probably the most widely known vegetable salad plant.  If you suffer from insomnia, eat more lettuce, which is one of the most sleep inducing plants known.  It is of course on record as being said that it will not induce sleep to a person who has committed a crime.  It being said that only the most hardened criminals can sleep after committing crimes.  Sow lettuce every two to three weeks during the cool part of the growing season for a fresh supply of both leaf and head lettuce."


He doesn't have anything to say if lettuce induces sleep if growing corn is keeping you awake, but I'm here to attest to the sleep inducing power of lettuce.  I haven't heard a peep out of the corn and I've been eating lettuce every meal for about a month.  Don't believe me?  Please come and pick some of my lettuce. Honestly, I'm growing a little weary of it.   It's not picking up on my not so subtle hints.  It just keeps growing and growing and growing.  Perhaps it's a new variety.  Let's call it 'Energizer Lettuce'.

Stay cool this weekend.

Stop by and help yourself to lettuce.  Don't you think it's time for a good night's sleep?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe that's why I slept so well last night! We had lettuce from our garden too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!