Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Our Last Supper

Tonight we had our last supper of summer.  School starts tomorrow.  This morning before the day was beginning to ramp up in volume and activity, I put an arm roast into the crock pot.  I made a topping of  cracked black pepper, about three cloves of garlic and half a package of onion soup mix and sprinkled it on the meat.  Then I added some water and let it cook all day.

I didn't take any pictures.  You're going to have to close your eyes and picture a hunk of beef.

Are you done?

I went to the Farmer's Market this afternoon and after perusing my possibilities, settled on some zucchini, yellow squash, and purple and yellow beans.  I then stopped at my grocery store to pick up a few things so I could make a Peach Clafouti.  I found the recipe at one of my new favorite blog spots -  www.mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com

Why did I go to this much trouble?  

I wanted to sit around my table tonight with my family. I wanted to put good food in front of them.  I wanted to feel their hands in mine while we prayed. I wanted to see their faces and listen to their words as they told their dad about our day in the soy bean field (more on that another day).  I wanted to watch Will size up the roasted zucchini and say to him his favorite words, "just eat it." I wanted to look at Kelli and Elizabeth who sit beside each other at our table, and be amazed at how beautiful they have become.  I wanted to watch Farmer Boy drink in his kids after a dry day at the office. I wanted us to be together, to celebrate a end of a chapter, the end of a fantastic summer.

It really wasn't much trouble at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!