Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Just a Girl


It is grey and dreary outside.  There is no snow on the ground to add a dash of white to the brown that stretches as far as I can see.  It's the kind of day that usually beckons to me, tells me to sit down on the couch, with a book, fuzzy socks, and a huge cup of tea.

Today I didn't do any of that. Despite the weather, I decided to go outside for a run this morning.  It is December in the Midwest.  The big snow will come any day now, and then I'll be stuck running on a treadmill, pretending I'm a hamster. Today I told myself to cease the day, grab a piece of the outside and go get it done.

Holly and I set out  at about 8:00 a.m.  I had her leash, my I-Pod, my running shoes and of course my running pants.  Running pants are wonderful.  They keep my legs warm.  They don't flap or rub when I run.  They make my butt look like an exclamation point but I was ceasing the day remember?  I couldn't worry about my butt punctuation.

In the spirit of running pants I watched Holly very closely.  Have you ever noticed how dogs can wag and walk at the same time?  It looks so easy and yet I can't get it figured out.  Wag and walk.  Try it and let me know if you can do it.

Not every run is the same.  Some days I feel like I have bricks stuck in my running pants and other days I feel like I can fly.  Today was one of my flying days.  I sang along to my I-Pod.  I danced.  I practiced the wag and walk.  I felt free.  For a brief moment of my day I was just a girl.  A girl running with her dog.



I love that.




P.S.  The above pictures are clearly not from today.  During our trip north for Thanksgiving, our camera was dropped.  It's not been the same since. Please bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!