Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Song of Summer

It seems to be the song of summer. Have you heard it? It's "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen. It seems to be everywhere - the mall, the gym, the pool, the car and my kitchen.


We had just finished up dinner. Will had had a friend over earlier in the day who introduced him to the song on "You Tube" performed by the Harvard Baseball team.

Farmer Boy was watching it on the computer.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEWVwgDnuzE
If you want to see what he was watching, here it is. Something tells me you may have already seen it .

Here's more sounds you can hear around 5JFarms.


Steaks on the grill.  Sizzling. Succulent. Yum.




Farmer Boy snapped this photo for me on his way home from work. I know, I know, rainbows are silent but look at that sky. It's rumbling, grumbling and about ready to roar, as it stretches over our midwestern fields, preparing to belt out the summer rain song which we need more of this year.



It's time for the 5JFarm Summer-time pig song and dance in our yard. They dance, they sing, they waddle, they bark.


Look at that pink butt! That thing better win a blue ribbon at the fair.

Have you ever heard a pig bark?  I cannot replicate the sound with words. You have to hear it for yourself. They bark. They bark when they get a chance to get out of their pen and walk around the yard with Kelli. A good watering down with the hose also makes them bark. They love it. Not everyone can have pink butted barking pigs waddling around their yard. We're classy like that.



Kelli plays piano.  If she is not at work, or reading, she's playing. Her playing matches her personality. Quiet, lovely, and tender sounds that reach deep into your soul. This is her at her recital a couple of weeks ago.

Lately she's been trying to perfect the theme for "Titanic". I love being in the kitchen making supper while she's downstairs practicing. The notes rise effortlessly up to the kitchen, the smells of dinner chime in, my girl is at home doing something she loves, and all seems right with the world.

One more before I need to go and finish dinner.



This is my favorite view this summer. I'm on my front porch. I sit on the steps and listen to the wind tickle my impatiens, my hostas and my trees. I love it. I could sit here all day. It is the perfect place to watch the sun come up and the sun set. I don't know what it is about that sound. It's soothing. It reminds me of water. It's peaceful. It seems to tell me that life doesn't revolve around cell phones, text messages, emails, work, the latest hit song, or all my obligations and responsibilities. Life is the sound the wind makes as it blows through the life in front of my porch.

Don't quote me on that. It doesn't really make sense. I am not a philosopher. I'm the dork sitting on her front porch in her bare feet. All summer. Drinking tea.

Watching out for moose. You never know.












No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!