Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Thinking, Staring, Planning.

It happened in high school on occasion. We'd be standing in the lunch line and my best friend Jayne would ask me why I was so quiet.

I would come up with something to say and then try not to be so quiet so as not to arouse any more suspicion.

My senior year of college, a couple of weeks before I graduated and left California, Farmer Boy, with all of his charm, asked me something like, "What the heck is wrong with you? Why are you so quiet and why do you just want to sit around and stare at trees?"

I do that.

I get quiet sometimes. I ponder and try to savor. I think through things slowly. I want to taste. I want to be intentional. I don't want to miss any flavor, don't want to swallow before I  chew.

Kelli has less than two weeks left of high school.

Her open house party draws nearer and with it comes many details.

There is college and student loans, and honestly, I don't want to think about that too much.

Life will look like different next year. It won't be bad, it will simply be different. I'm thinking it through, hoping to make wise decisions, wanting to be surefooted instead of hurried, and trying to be obedient.

I've been watching Kelli. She seems happy and light, ready to fly.

I'm not sad. I'm not melancholy. I'm just thinking.

I wanted to share with you what I've been staring at these last weeks. You can stare at them too and maybe you'll find yourself quietly thinking.

There's been a lot to stare at.



Each of the three sows we have had in the barn gave birth to baby pigs. Pigs seem to be everywhere.



Will caught this guy in the middle of his morning performance and snapped a picture. We finally are having warmer temperatures after our snow storm last week. I noticed that robins along with daffodils and tulips are hopeful creations. They got covered up in snow last week and yet they didn't give up. They're back. Singing and being beautiful.







Baby chicks are fascinating. They scurry here and there, the sound of their feet on the newspapers reminding me of spring rain. They peck for food the day they arrive, like they've been at it forever. It's amazing to me how their instinct immediately kicks in.





Finally, our toddlers. These are the County Fair pigs that Lizzy and Kelli will be showing at the fair. They are not piglets, but not grown-ups either. Toddlers. There are six of them and they are quite the hams. Can you tell by the pictures that they've been bred to be show-offs? They run around their pen, they fight, they tease each other and when you get close to their pen, they want to know what's up. Their snouts are right there, entreating you to tell them a story, and give them a snack. Hilarious piggies.

There you have it. Thinking. Staring. Planning. Sharing with you.

Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!