Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Pancakes - What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do


That is how today is beginning for me.

It could be that the weather has turned a bit cooler and my mug of tea and yoga pants seem to cozy.

It could be that I had a dream last night about a curly-haired, chubby-cheeked baby girl, and this morning I want to revel in the feeling of the memory.

It could be that I've been looking for a job which truly has to be one of the most humbling and confusing experiences ever.

Here is a link to an article that suggests I'm not the only one struggling - Why Women Over 50 Can't Find Jobs

Does anyone know where your resume and cover letter actually go when you click 'send'? Do they go where you think they are going or are they like that mis-matched sock that gets lost in the washer? Are there tiny elf-like creatures nibbling on my words of accomplishment somewhere in cyber space?

I have more questions.

How does one manufacture enthusiasm for work?

I have been reading job description, after job description and when I find a job that I am qualified for, I simply think, "That's it?"

Is that really all that is out there for me?

I feel like an untapped resource. I have so much behind me, so much I have learned and have conquered. I have worked hard. I have been disciplined. I have sought to be the best and do the best at everything that has come my way. I've been stretched. I have cried. I have been knocked down to my knees but somehow I have managed to get back up, smile, grab a hand, and keep walking. I would want to hire me.

Now I am sending out resumes to answer phones and distribute mail?

Really?

And no one is calling back?

Really?

Do I want them to call back?

Distributing mail? Answering phones?

One could go crazy or one could make pancakes.

You know, the homemade kind, with chocolate chips which is how Will likes them. He doesn't know that I throw in whole wheat flour, flax seed, and oatmeal. He simply likes the chocolate chips.





These were mine.

Instead of spreading them with butter, I use plain yogurt. Then I top with apples, walnuts and maple syrup that my mom and dad bring from the home country.

Delightful.

No questions asked.

No resume needed.

Just experience, know-how, yoga pants, a mug of tea, and a "Thanks Mom."

I guess for today, that is all I need.

Over and out.











No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment!